Don't you think that each district should be decided fairly?
We all want our representatives to be chosen as a true representation of the people of a state. As you can see from the map, right now, just under half of the states have non-partisan redistricting. This law needs to be passed in all 50 states.
In 2010, California stripped lawmakers of their control over redistricting and put it in the hands of a non-partisan panel. This non-partisan redistricting can happen across the country to mitigate the effects of partisan politics before the next census.
Common Cause has a set of principles on redistricting: http://www.commoncause.org/redistricting
You'll want to read this article on the behind the scenes of the latest wave of gerrymandering.
And this one on how millions of voters will cast ballots in unconstitutionally gerrymandered districts this year.
PEOPLE POWER PROGRESS UPDATES
- In April 2016, Nebraska passed LB 580 to end gerrymandering and instill a 9 person independent panel (HOWEVER this was vetoed by the Governor of Nebraska on April 18th - the Legislature could still overcome the veto).
- In December 2015, the Florida Supreme Court upheld Senate and Congressional maps drawn by voting rights groups under the state's landmark Fair Districts Amendment.
- In November 2015, Ohio put an end to gerrymandering for state legislative districts!
- In June 2015, the US Supreme Court upheld voters' rights to create rules governing the redistricting process.
ACTION STEP 1: SIGN PETITIONS TO END GERRYMANDERING
ACTION STEP 2: PLAY THE REDISTRICTING GAME!
- Gerrymandering by Voz
- Redistricting In America
- Stephen Colbert's The Word: Win, Lose or Redraw
- The Daily Show's American Horrible Story - Gerrymandering
- From Slate: “It’s Alarming That Gerrymandering is Legal”
- Here’s a thorough review of redistricting issues with articles and analysis from FairVote
- Check out how Michigan is fighting for gerrymandering reform
- NY Times' The Great Gerrymander of 2012